In this review, we dive into the evolution of Suntech, a former titan in the solar industry.
- Suntech, established in 2001 in China, was a dominant player in the solar industry by the late 2000s. Despite facing financial challenges and defaulting, the company has since regained stability, though it hasn’t reclaimed its top market position.
- The company produces a diverse range of panels, including both monofacial and bifacial options, catering to various applications.
- As of early 2023, Suntech’s panels are competitively priced, ranging from $0.7 to $0.9 per watt before installation costs.
- Efficiency is a strong point for Suntech, with their latest models achieving up to 22.5% efficiency.
- Customer and employee feedback about Suntech is largely positive, despite some early challenges in the company’s history.
- Warranty terms include a 12-year product warranty, with a 25-year performance warranty for monofacial modules and a 30-year guarantee for bifacial modules.
Suntech’s History in the Solar Market
Founded in 2001 in Wuxi, China by Dr. Shi Zhengrong, an alumnus of the University of New South Wales’ School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering, Suntech rapidly ascended to prominence under his leadership until 2013.
Suntech’s rise was rapid, securing its position as a leading force in the solar sector. Dr. Shi earned acclaim, including being named a “Hero of the Environment” by Time magazine in 2007 and gaining recognition as the world’s first ‘green billionaire’. By 2011, the company had captured the largest market share in the photovoltaic (PV) industry.
However, the early 2010s proved challenging for PV companies, with market oversaturation impacting many. Suntech faced its own difficulties, closing its Arizona plant in 2013 and grappling with a $541 million debt default, leading to Dr. Shi’s departure from his chairman role.
Yet, this was not the end of Suntech. The company continued producing solar panels and gradually regained stability. Although no longer at the forefront of the market, Suntech has stabilized and is known for producing quality products. We will take a closer look at their current offerings.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Suntech Solar Panels
Advantages of Suntech Panels
- Affordable Pricing: One of the most notable aspects of Suntech panels is their cost-effectiveness, a common trait of Chinese-made PV modules.
- High Efficiency: Suntech panels have an efficiency rate exceeding 22.5%, significantly surpassing the market average of 19-20%.
- Positive Reviews: Despite some early challenges, Suntech has garnered mostly favorable reviews from customers. Additionally, employee feedback about the company is generally positive.
Disadvantages of Suntech Panels:
- Availability in the US: Being a Chinese company, Suntech panels may sometimes be hard to get your hands on in the US market.
- Standard Warranty Terms: Suntech offers a standard 12-year product warranty. While adequate, this warranty duration is not particularly exceptional compared to some competitors.
Suntech Solar Panels’ Pricing, Efficiency, and Warranties
Suntech specializes in producing monocrystalline solar panels suitable for various applications. Their range includes both monofacial and bifacial options. These panels incorporate modern technologies like half-cut cells, PERCs, and multi-busbar designs. However, they tend to lack distinctive features that set them apart.
Priced Competitively at $0.70-$0.90 per Watt
In 2023, Suntech’s solar panels are available in the U.S. market at a cost-effective rate of $0.70 to $0.90 per watt, excluding installation fees. This pricing is notably lower than that of North American-made panels.
Efficiency Rates Between 19%-22.5%
Suntech panels achieve efficiency levels of up to 22.5%, which is significantly above the market average. This high efficiency means you’ll need less space for your solar system.
Standard 12-Year Product Warranty, Extended Performance Warranty
Suntech offers a standard 12-year product warranty, typical for Chinese manufacturers. The warranty extends to 25 years for monofacial modules and 30 years for bifacial modules in terms of performance.
Overview of Suntech’s Residential and Commercial Solar Panels
Suntech 380 W Ultra S Mini — Ideal for Compact Systems
The Suntech 380W Ultra S Mini series is well-suited for residential solar systems. It utilizes half-cut cell technology with 120 half-cut cells, enhancing both shade efficiency and power output. This model has an efficiency rate of 20.8%, which is impressive for its category. Its design is sleek and modern, featuring a slender 1.4″ thickness and an all-black aesthetic for a seamless look. Suntech Power provides a 12-year product warranty and assures that the panel will maintain 84.8% of its original performance even after 25 years of use.
Suntech 555 W Ultra V — Ideal for Large-Scale Systems
The Suntech 555 W Ultra V is a monofacial panel designed primarily for commercial and industrial setups. This model stands out with its high output capacity, offering up to 555 watts and an impressive 21.5% efficiency. It excels in low-light conditions, maintaining better production on overcast days, and features enhanced heat resistance during operation. Even after 25 years, this panel is guaranteed to retain more than 84.8% of its initial power output. Additionally, Suntech offers a bifacial variant of this model, expanding its application possibilities.
Suntech 435 W Ultra V Pro Mini — Ideal for Residential Use
The Ultra V Pro Mini is a good solar panel option for home installations. It stands out with its stylish, all-black design and exceptional efficiency of up to 22.3%, significantly surpassing the market average. This module is certified to endure extreme wind conditions (up to 3800 Pascal) and heavy snow loads (up to 6000 Pascal), ensuring durability and reliability. Its performance in low-light conditions is also worth noting. Suntech backs this panel with a 12-year product warranty and a 25-year performance warranty, guaranteeing that it will maintain 89.4% of its initial power capacity even after 25 years.
Suntech 670 W Ultra X Plus — Ideal for Extensive Systems
The Suntech 670 W Ultra X Plus is a bifacial panel, tailor-made for large-scale projects. Its unique feature is the active rear side, which can boost production by up to 25%. This panel is particularly efficient in low-light conditions and is engineered to perform reliably in demanding environments, including deserts, agricultural settings, and coastal areas. The panel has a 12 year product warranty and an impressive 30 year performance warranty. Suntech also provides a monofacial version of this model, catering to a variety of installation needs.
Suntech’s Resilient Comeback
While Suntech’s past might shine brighter than its present, the company has made a commendable recovery. The panels might not feature a unique design, and the warranty terms could be more competitive, but Suntech’s solar modules are modern and suitable in the current market. If you have any more questions about solar panels and which ones would be the best for you, contact 8MSolar. With over two decades of experience, we’d be happy to help you find the perfect fit for your residential or commercial solar system. Contact 8MSolar today.