By installing solar panels, you can become independent from the electrical grid, allowing you to produce renewable electricity from the sun. Further, investing in solar panels can help you save on your monthly utility bills and reduce your greenhouse emissions, which helps you be more eco-friendly.
If you’re a homeowner or business owner in North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place to learn all about solar panels and how 8MSolar can help you meet your solar goals.
Types of Solar Panels
Understanding the different types of solar panels can help you make an informed decision when it comes time to equip your home or business with your own panels. There are three main types of solar panels, which include:
- Monocrystalline solar panels: Of all the types, monocrystalline solar panels are the most common. These square-like panels are made from pure silicon, which is turned into cells and organized into a solar panel. Due to the pure silicon, the panels appear black, and you can choose from various colors for the back sheets and frames. Overall, monocrystalline panels boast high efficiency and performance.
- Polycrystalline solar panels: These types of panels are growing in popularity thanks to their efficiency. Similar to monocrystalline panels, polycrystalline panels use silicon. However, the process of making the panels creates solar wafers that are organized into a panel. These solar cells appear blue as the sunlight reflects on them, and their frames tend to be silver.
- Thin-film solar panels: These panels are some of the newer models available on the market. Offering high versatility, thin-film solar panels can be made from a range of materials as opposed to silicon, including cadmium and copper. These panels are significantly thinner than other types and can vary in color, though they’re usually black or blue.
Popular Solar Panel Brands
Deciding on a solar panel brand for your North Carolina property can take time and research. To help make the process easier, here are three brands we recommend for their strength and quality:
1. Hanwha Q Cells
Hanwha Q Cells is one of the most notable solar panel brands worldwide, with the Q.Peak DUO BLK G10+ being one of the most popular options. These panels can generate up to 400 watts per panel, supplying your home or business with plenty of power. Hanwha Q Cells panels come with 25-year warranties, ensuring an 86% power output in the first 25 years.
Q Cells offers great quality for an excellent price. The brand’s panels boast a high weather rating, high efficiency and high performance. If you choose Q Cells panels, you can rely on them as a reliable investment that provides renewable energy to your home or business for years to come.
Another solar panel brand to note is REC. The REC Alpha Pure panels can produce up to 405 watts per panel with a 25-year power output warranty guaranteeing a 92% power output.
Another future product that we are excited about is the REC Alpha Pure R panel which is expected to be available in Q2 2023. This panel is expected to be a staggering 22.3% efficient while maintaining the same high-quality build and REC warranties.
REC panels utilize advanced technology and manufacturing to boost their efficiency and durability. Due to their design, REC panels can perform even when shaded. This design also increases the active area of the solar panels, allowing them to capture more sunlight and increase energy production.
Investing in REC panels can help you achieve partial or complete energy independence for years.
One of the best solar panels for homes is Solaria, manufactured by a California company specializing in high-quality residential panels. Two of the brand’s primary residential solar panel options boast high efficiency and performance:
- Solaria PowerX: The Solaria PowerX can achieve 400 watts and offers a 25-year warranty with an 86% power guarantee. These panels provide excellent value for their quality, allowing homeowners to invest in their own solar systems. The sleek design is appealing to homeowners looking for a minimal look, and their low-light performance and high-efficiency rating enable them to perform from dawn until dusk.
- Solaria PowerXT: These solar panels are the most premium option on the market right now, reaching 430 watts per panel. Solaria offers an industry-best 30-year power output warranty and a 30-year warranty on parts and labor. These panels can be installed with limited roof space due to their small size and high wattage per panel. This is the only panel that is truly an all-black solar panel.
Most Common Panels Installed by 8MSolar
At 8MSolar, we’re constantly surveying all available panel options to help you determine the best fit for your home or business. Our most popular panels are the Hanwha Q.Peak DUO BLK G10+, REC Alpha Pure, Solaria PowerX and the Solaria PowerXT. These are our most popular due to their quality, strength and ease of warranty process. 8MSolar is also a REC ProTrust Installer and with our extensive expertise, we can help you decide which brands best fit your home or business.
That being said, 8MSolar is hardware agnostic and we can install any solar hardware available in the US. Other popular brands include SunPower, Mission Solar, TRINA, Longi Solar, and more!
Words of Caution
Before choosing a solar brand, you should consider a few points to ensure you make the best investment possible. Avoid the following mistakes to ensure you choose solar panels that are high-quality, efficient and long-lasting:
- Avoid companies that quote commercial-grade panels: Because commercial panels are significantly larger, they don’t usually produce as much power per square foot as residential panels. These panels have shorter warranties and aren’t necessarily designed for shingle roofs. If you’re a homeowner interested in solar panels, look for a company with dedicated residential solar panel installations to ensure you get the right fit for your home.
- Avoid manufacturers reluctant to honor warranties: Solar panels are an investment, and you want to ensure your warranty will be honored if something occurs. We utilize brands that pay for all costs involved in a warranty claim and will quickly swap out any faulty equipment or panels that fail.
- Avoid newer manufacturers: Brand-new solar manufacturers may not have been established long enough to honor a 25-year warranty, which is why we choose to work with established manufacturers with warranties you can trust.
- Be cautious of “white-labeling”: Some brands work with third parties to manufacture their panels and simply label them with their names without being involved in the manufacturing process. These companies are unlikely to ensure the quality of the panels from start to finish, which is why it’s best to use a solar installer that works directly with a manufacturer to guarantee you’re getting the best investment.
Trust 8MSolar as Your Solar Installer in North Carolina
8MSolar can help you find the best solar brand for your home or business. We’ll guide you through every step of the process, from design to installation. We also offer repair services for our residential customers to ensure their investment lasts. Contact us today to learn more about our solar services and how we can help you make the most of your new investment!